When preparing your house for sale, remember the importance of first impressions.
The market isnít the only factor that influences whether you get your asking price.
Appearance and overall condition play a major role. Here are some easy things
you can do to make your home more appealing to buyers.
It is estimated that more than half of all houses are sold before the buyers
even get out of their cars. Stand across the street from your house and honestly
critique its curb appeal.
- Sweep front walkway
- Remove clutter, newspapers, bikes, toys
- Park extra cars away from the property
- Trim back shrubs, mow the lawn frequently and plant flowers
- Clean windows and window coverings
- Apply fresh paint where needed
- Make sure roof and gutters are in good condition; no repairs needed
- Keep pet areas clean
- Kitchen and bathrooms should shine
- Repaint if needed to freshen rooms and consider eliminating dark colors
- Carpets should be clean, and do a quick once-over with the vacuum
- Place fresh flowers in the main rooms
- Put dishes away unless setting a formal display for decoration
- Make beds and put all clothes and toys away
- Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel
- Straighten closets
- Turn off television but turn on soft music
- Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odor free
- Decrease clutter on shelves and counter tops and put extra furniture in storage.
This will enhance the spaciousness of each room while allowing the buyer to envision
their own furnishings in the home.
- Potential buyers are always more comfortable if the owners are not present
- If people unaccompanied by an agent request to see your property, always refer
them to your real estate agent for an appointment. Do not allow them in without
- Leave a number where you can be reached if you are leaving town, even for a short
period of time